Jul 15, 2015 12:13 AM EDT
Geeks around the world have a reason to rejoice: The Commodore is back, and it’s now an Android phablet.
“Commodore” is a brand that’s associated with all things hardcore. The Commodore 64 was one of the groundbreaking personal computer models produced in the 1980’s, and it was regarded with much fascination, even reverence. Italian entrepreneurs Massimo Canigiani and Carlo Scattolini acquired the brand, and are releasing the Commodore PET, an Android phablet with the mobile game enthusiast in mind.
• The Commodore phablet runs on a Mediatek 64-bit 1.7 GHz octa core processor and an ARM Mali T760 GPU.
• For selfie-addicted gamers, an 8-megapixel front camera will power all those between-game snaps, while a 13-megapixel camera powered with a Sony sensor is mounted as the rear/main cam. The main camera has a dedicated shutter button.
• Its 5.5-inch display is fortified with Corning Gorilla Glass 3, and is a 1080p IPS panel.
• The Commodore PET is powered by a decent 3000 mAh battery, which would be good enough for a day’s use.
• There are two versions: The $300 version gives you 16GB of storage space and 2GB RAM, while the $365 version gives you 32GB storage and 3GB RAM. Both will come with a 32GB microSD card, so that’s more than enough for all the apps and games you would want to install.
• Each Commodore PET will come with emulators that will let you play all the Commodore64 and Amiga games you’ve missed.
• Commodore64 classic games will be hosted on the VICE C64 emulator, while Amiga games will be hosted on the Uae4All2-SDL Amiga emulator.
• The team behind the Commodore PET is working on ongoing projects with software developers, looking to bring the best 1980’s games to the Commodore PET.
The Commodore PET will initially launch in France, Germany, Italy, and Poland. The company is looking to launch the Commodore PET in the US soon after, and is also looking to introduce the gaming phablet to more countries in Europe. Legacy game enthusiasts certainly have something to look forward to.
2. Jun 17, 2020
Five Biotech Gadgets Critical for Combating COVID-19
3. Jun 17, 2020
5 Essentials for Startups Launching in 2020
4. Jun 17, 2020
Creative Ways Businesses Can Bounce Back After COVID-19
1. Jun 03, 2020
What to Look for in a New Laptop for Your Degree in Operations Management
2. May 18, 2020
Tips for Giving Your Tech Startup the Winning Edge
3. May 09, 2020
What New Technology Is Distracting to Drivers?
4. May 02, 2020
The Role of Tech in the Fight Against COVID-19